How to work as a tradesperson in Australia with international qualifications 

Construction is one of Australia’s largest industries, offering a diverse job market. This makes it a great place for any tradesperson seeking new experience and opportunities. If you’re a tradie who has qualified abroad, there are steps you can take to be able to work in Australia. In this blog, we’ll explore the essential aspects of working as a tradesperson in Australia with international qualifications. 

Understand the Australian qualifications in trades for foreigners

Before you embark on your journey, it’s crucial to familiarise yourself with Australia’s qualification standards for trades. Each state and territory may have its specific requirements, so research the standards applicable to your desired location.  

What tickets or licenses are needed for construction work in Australia? 

The basics you need to work in construction in Australia are:  

  • general construction induction training card, also known as a White Card  
  • current driver’s licence (Medium Rigid can be useful) 

Some companies also require: 

  • medical clearance 
  • clean drug and alcohol test results 
  • national police check 
  • first aid certificate 

How to get your trade skills recognised in Australia?

For your skill set to be recognised in Australia you must do a skill assessment through Trades Recognition Australia. Jobs you would need to do this assessment for employment in Australia include, but are not limited to: 

  • Electrician 
  • Plumber 
  • Bricklayer 
  • Carpenter 

Language proficiency 

English proficiency is a key requirement for working in Australia. Adequate language skills are crucial for effective communication in the workplace and ensuring safety on the job. 


Which visa should I get to work in Australia? 

There are a few categories of visas you can get to qualify to work in Australia such as the Short stay visa  or the Temporary working visa 

If you are 18 to 35 years old, and hold a passport from the qualifying countries (UK and Ireland included) the most suitable visa for you would be the Australia Working Holiday 417 Visa. It’s great for young adults who want an extended holiday and to work in Australia to fund it. You can find out more about it here. 

How to get a trade job or blue-collar job in Australia?

With your qualifications and visa in place, you are ready to explore job opportunities in Australia. Online job portals, industry-specific websites, and recruitment agencies can be valuable resources for finding potential employers. At EWS Recruitment we specialise in placing construction workers in jobs of all levels across Melbourne and Victoria. Talk to one of our recruitment specialist by registering here, or simply give us a call on 03 9354 0466 or email 

Becoming a tradesperson in Australia with international qualifications requires careful planning, adherence to local standards, and a proactive approach to securing employment. By understanding the steps involved, obtaining the necessary assessments, and staying informed about industry trends, you can make a successful transition to the Australian trades industry and embark on a rewarding career in your chosen field. 

Enjoying our blogs?

Read about preparing your CV here

Are you looking for a job in construction?

Register with us today

"*" indicates required fields

Max. file size: 128 MB.

Sign up to the newsletter for latest jobs and news

Plus, you could win a Goodie Bag with $200

You have Successfully Subscribed!